Authors: Lianna Salva

There was a chill in the air of the seemingly empty theater as fog swirled over the seats.

The stage was set for the Lincoln Center’s current musical, “The Rocky Horror Show,” directed by Emelie Borello and based on the cult movie classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

“The Rocky Horror Show,” written by Richard O’Brian, who played Riff Raff in the movie version, will open tomorrow night and is put on by the OpenStage Theater Company at the Lincoln Center Magnolia Theater. Tickets can be purchased online, by phone at 970-221-6730 or in person at the Lincoln Center Box Office.

“Rocky Horror” is a quirky show about an innocent couple trapped in a mad house of singing transvestites, hunky science experiments and mischievous groupies.
Mostly, it’s a show about expression.

“It’s pushing your own boundaries with sexuality. It’s finding your freedom and your ability to express yourself. (The song) ‘Don’t Dream it, Be it’ means just be who you are and express that inner wildness,” Borello said.

The story begins as sweethearts Brad and Janet must take shelter in a Gothic castle belonging to Dr. Frank N. Furter, an eccentric transvestite, when their car gets a flat tire in a rain storm. What follows is a celebration of Frank’s newest creation, Rocky, and an invitation for Brad and Janet to immerse themselves in Frank’s way of life.

Ethan Billingsley, an advisor for the Warner College of Natural Resources at CSU, plays Rocky. This is the first time Billingsley has been on the stage in 15 years.

Magenta, a domestic, and Columbia, a groupie, played by Teal Jandrain and Briana Sprecher-Kinneer, cause a lot of trouble for Brad and Janet, but a lot of fun for the audience.

“Magenta embodies the carnal side in all of us, and she’s from another planet so it’s socially acceptable for her to be a freak, which is fun,” Jandrain said.

Columbia is reunited with her love interest, Eddie, whose brain was partially used to create Rocky. Now that Rocky is Frank N. Furter’s new love, Columbia finds herself pushed aside yet again.

“Columbia is the head groupie, and her biggest flaw is that she’s too affectionate, and she loves people too much,” Sprecher-Kinneer said.

Many fans of the show who go to the movie performances will enjoy the interactive opportunities the theater performance will offer.

Like being in the audience for the movie, the theater is allowing members of the audience to bring props, dress up as the characters and shout out lines during the performance.

However, due to the Lincoln Center policies, audience members should not bring rice, water guns, confetti or toast. Open flame is not allowed, but using flash lights instead is welcome.

“I really looked at putting on this show as a rock-and-roll type performance,” Borello said. “It’s very interactive.”
_
Collegian writer Lianna Salva can be reached at verve@collegian.com._