Authors: Bailey Constas

With Halloween right around the corner, queens, kings and scary things will be invading the Lory Student Center main ballroom Saturday night as part of the annual Fall Drag Show.

The event, put on by the Student Organization for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer and Allied People (SOGLBT) of CSU, is both Halloween-themed and free to the public, although donations are encouraged.

This semester’s show will feature 23 acts, but no glitter or confetti “because that sh** is impossible to clean up,” said Jess Cytron, the president of SOGLBT.

Lip-syncing, dancing and many more varieties of entertainment, including a comedic rap, a dance crew and a Joe Calderone monologue (as made famous by Lady Gaga at the 2011 VMAs) will take place.

During intermission, members of SOGLBT will also strut their stuff on the runway in costume.

While 1,000 seats are being prepared for the show, Cytron said they are expecting many more people from around campus and from the larger Fort Collins area to attend.

Cytron recommends attendees to get in line even an hour before doors open.

Four semesters ago, Cytron said there were barely more than 20 in attendance, which grew to 400 the next semester, 900 the following and 1,100 last semester. This year expectations are high, and audience capacity is limited.

“People who are educated with drag culture, or not educated but have an open mind and are receptive to new information and new sights” should attend this show, Cytron said.

According to Kelly Buchanan, co-drag show chair, the event is targeted toward visibility for the community.

“[We want] to be available to everyone and be safe and welcome,” Buchanan said. “It’s also important to show how drag really is a part of our community.”

This year, because of the anticipated attendance and additional funding from the Associated Students of CSU, the production will run differently and on a larger scale.

“They (ASCSU) have been incredibly nice and helpful to us,” said Cytron.

The ballroom was booked over the summer, and the total planning, according to Cytron, took roughly four to five months with a committee overseeing everything from decorations and performers to security and safety regulations.

nd, with a mass quantity of tickets to manage, fire codes to meet, and the CSUPD on board, this may very well be the largest student-led event on campus, said Ryan Bittinger, secretary of SOGLBT and head of security for the drag show.

“Reaching out to the entire CSU community and the larger Fort Collins community, it’s a way to say we’re here and support GLBT in a way that’s fun,” Bittinger said.

All proceeds will be put toward next semester’s drag show, which raises funds for NCAP, the Northern Colorado AIDS Project.

If you’re interested in becoming a part of SOGLBT or the next drag show, attend a meeting open to everyone, including those who identify as GLBTQ or heterosexual allies. Meetings are every Thursday at 6 p.m. in room 103 of the Behavioral Sciences building.

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• What: The SOGLBT Fall Drag Show
  • When and where: Saturday night in the LSC main ballroom. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the show begins at 7 p.m.

* Cost: Free, but donations are encouraged