Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Do you think what happened Wednesday in regards to the injury on campus could have been prevented?

No one can foresee those events, no one can foresee that happening. I walked to campus Wednesday and I walked through the Oval at 7:30 a.m. and it was like walking through a minefield of fallen limbs.

It definitely isn’t anything I think anyone could foresee happening at all, and I give my best wishes to the student who was struck by the tree and her family, and I hope everything’s ok.

In hindsight, do you think that campus should have been closed?

I think hindsight’s relative. The easy answer is yes, but if I were in Tony Frank’s shoes last night, or this morning when he made that call, and if I had the data he had at the time, I think I would have done the exact same thing.

A lot of students have criticized the decision to stay open Wednesday. What’s your response?

I think students are customers of the university, and I think the customer’s voice always matters. I’m here to represent those customers, and I’m glad that students are providing their comments, because it’s important for their voices to be heard.

I was in the administration building at 8 a.m. on Wednesday for a meeting before the tree branches started falling, and a friend brought to my attention from a bunch of Facebook posts from people complaining. It was good to see.

What role will ASCSU have, if any, in changing how the university looks at these events in the future?

Decisions involving university closures are run through the Public Safety Team, run out of the President’s Office. ASCSU is not involved in campus operational decisions such as snow days or campus closures.