Community Briefs 10/26/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Penny Flats fire extinguished

Penny Flats fire extinguished

Firefighters from Poudre Fire Authority (PFA) and Loveland Fire Rescue have finished fighting the blaze that destroyed one building and damaged another in Old Town Fort Collins.

The Penny Flats, a commercial and residential property on the corner of Mason and Maple Streets caught fire early Monday morning, causing residents to evacuate and nearby streets to close.

According to a news release from Patrick Love, spokesman for the PFA, firefighters have left the scene of fire, which was turned over to the PFA Prevention Bureau for investigation. The cause and origin of the fire is still not known.

Anyone with information, photos or video regarding the fire is asked to contact Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Brann at sbrann@poudre-fire.org.

While the area is being investigated, Maple Street between Mason and Howes Streets and Mason Street between Maple and Cherry Streets will remain closed.

‘Let’s Talk About Sex’ at the Lory Student Center

In conjunction with the “Women at Noon” workshops, stand-up comic Karen Williams will perform today at noon in LSC Room 220.
Williams has done stand-up since the 1980s, and she was featured in the HBO documentary “We’re Funny that Way” and has been a nominee for the GLAMA (Gay and Lesbian American Music Award).

Today she will perform comedy and host group discussion and storytelling regarding stereotypes about dating, partnerships, sexual orientation, role identification, sensuality and sex.

The event is part of GLBT History Month at CSU, and it is free and open to the public.

Fighting every day inequality

Something as small as a hand gesture or even tone of voice has the power to damage self-esteem or impair performance.

A workshop Wednesday from 2 to 5 p.m. will work to bring to light a phenomenon called microinequality.

In “Microinequality and Meditation,” presenter Yvonne Sandoval hopes to create awareness about the subtleties of racism that can harm a person’s performance in the workplace or classroom.

Sandoval is the CEO and co-founder of Sixth Sun Consulting, an agency that works to build leadership within organizations.

The CSU School of Social Work is sponsoring the event to celebrate its newly restructured Graduate Certificate in Meditation and Conflict Resolution in conjunction with Colorado’s Conflict Resolution Month.

Contact meditation@cahs.colostate.edu to register and learn about the location of the event.