Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Many students at CSU might not have noticed, but not all of the people teaching our classes are considered equal.

The people in charge of your education are classified into two groups: tenure-track and contingent faculty members.

The story “Highlighting faculty equality” in today’s Collegian focuses on Campus Equity Week, an event that highlights the working conditions of CSU’s contingent faculty members.

These contingent faculty members teach roughly half of all classes at CSU –– your composition class, for example. But although they provide a bulk of the education at CSU, they receive half of the pay, smaller office spaces and restricted access to university materials compared to their tenure-track colleagues.

While these conditions may seem harsh enough, contingent faculty members have nearly no job security because they must reapply for their position every year.

And with a majority of their time spent teaching you how to become a better writer, these contingent faculty members don’t have the time to conduct research, which is necessary to apply for tenure.

This hierarchy of teachers is especially important in light of the lack of state funding our school receives. We simply don’t have the money for every faculty member to be on the tenure track.

But even though we don’t have the necessary funding, our school should at least be doing everything it can to provide options to these faculty members, who are a valuable part of our university. The situation can’t be as black and white as it seems, and contingent faculty members must be given a chance to move up.

In the meantime, thank your composition teacher for what he or she has gone through to make you a better writer.