Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

We don’t mean to be blunt, Housing and Dining Services, but we probably would not trust you with the key to our hearts.

This is because, according to an article in today’s Collegian, Housing and Dining aims to replace the traditional lock and key systems to CSU’s dorm rooms with prox keys, a costly move that ultimately won’t make that big of a difference in the lives of students.

It’s nice to see a university claiming to be hard-pressed for money install $300 to $400 electronic locks in place of the $150 to $200 traditional locks, especially without any real evidence as to how these locks will affect security, other than Housing and Dining’s assertion that an electronic system will make it easier for students who lose their keys.

And while it’s true that it may be easier to program a new electronic lock after a misplaced prox key, it still makes us nervous to think that a single lost prox key means not only access to a single dorm room (as a traditional key would), but also to the main building and all of its floors.

It seems kind of counter-intuitive, especially since security is one of the main arguments for the new lock system.

While we applaud CSU for its quest to get more in tune with the future, it seems like the money spent on this futuristic and seemingly unnecessary lock system could be better spent on other technological pursuits, like maybe fixing the university’s notoriously iffy WiFi connection.