Authors: Libby Williams, Emily Kirbs

Emily Kribs, freshman

Maybe it’s because I’m going to college in-state, not to mention a mere five months out from my high school graduation, but keeping in touch with high school friends has yet to become a major concern.

With a graduating class of a little under 400 people, it was an accepted inevitability that we wouldn’t be able to stay friends with everyone. It’s doubtful we were even all friends in the first place.

It helps that the vast majority of my friends have gone to colleges in Colorado and are rarely more than a text away –– It’s hard to miss someone I’ve never parted company with.

To tell the truth, I hate Facebook. I keep it as a homepage to force myself to keep in touch with my friends, but what I usually get is minute-by-minute updates on Marshall and Lynn’s battle to saturate each other’s walls with hearts, and another six “pokes.”

It’s not that I don’t like my friends. Believe me, I do. But Facebook is just not my medium.
I’ve been offline for over a year on Facebook’s chat feature in an effort to evade awkward conversations with bored buddies looking for something to do. I don’t care if you and your girlfriend “woohoo’d” on that Sims game, and I actually think it’s kind of weird you’d tell me that.

But Facebook’s better than nothing, even if it does open you up for invitations to “11:11, 11/11/11.” I guess repetitive numerals can be pretty great. And they mean “ÿ” in binary! How cool is that?

I’m not a huge fan of texting, either. It was great when I first got a plan that allowed for it, but by now I’m a bit sick of it. The main problem is that I’m almost always in the middle of something when I get a text, and I often either have to scramble for a moment to respond or forget about it entirely. “That person” who sends back one word responses? That’s me. And I don’t have time for your sentimental decorum. If it’s important, call me.

Personally, I prefer Skype and Tumblr for keeping up with friends. It’s much easier to share just what you want to with just whom you want. Texting is much more limited, and sometimes a hassle, if you ask me. Facebook is too much information, not all of which is voluntary. But Skype and Tumblr are the baby bear’s proverbial pilfered porridge.

Thus far, I’m inclined to think I haven’t missed out on too much of my friends’ lives. At least, not so much that we can no longer get along. And I look forward to catching up with them in person over winter break.

Libby Williams, senior

I was one of the top students in my high school class, which gave me credence to give a graduation speech, which I used to emphasize the importance of high school friendships. Coming from a tight-knit community, I couldn’t believe the rumors that high school friends fade away, and those friends you meet in college will be kept forever.

Sure enough, college rolled around and it was difficult to keep in touch with high school classmates. As a matter of fact, the only reason I know what is going on in most of my high school friends’ lives is Facebook.

Graduating from a class of 20, I follow pretty much all of my classmates on Facebook, but I rarely speak to them in person.

And I must say, according to Facebook, I’m a bit behind the curve with my life. There are only three girls from my graduating class, including myself, who have yet to be married or have a child.

But the point is, I know all of this stuff about former friends and never actually talk to them. With college in the way, I haven’t made it a priority. I’ve relied on Facebook and let it be good enough.

Even my very best friend from high school has been difficult to keep in touch with. I thought that since she was from a different school, communicating with her would be somehow different. And it was for my first two years at college. We called each other weekly and made it a point to hang out when we were both home.

Once Kirby headed to Texas to finish her Bachelor’s degree, the very impersonal means of texting and Facebook became our primary communication tools. I still refer to her as my “BFF,” but actually calling her only happens a few times a year.

I could’ve sworn when I was a senior in high school that the people who impacted my high school life would be the ones that stayed close to my heart.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for Kirby to have found a job, for Amber to have had her first child and for Sabrina to have recently become a wife. I’m thrilled that technology has given me an easy way to follow these old friends, but we certainly aren’t as close as my 18-year-old self had hoped.

I recently got a message over Facebook that said, “I always read your articles.” It was from a high school friend who I hadn’t talked to since a coincidental run-in at Texas Roadhouse years ago.

It means a lot to me to know that someone I cared about in high school is still interested in what I’m doing today.

Even though I only rely on my news feed to check up on you, thanks, “Q.”