Authors: Allison Sylte

Student government president Eric Berlinberg announced Monday night that he has appointed Andrew Ives as elections manager, pending ratification during Wednesday night’s senate meeting.

Ives, a senior history major, has been involved with the Associated Students of CSU elections for the past three years, and served as last year’s elections manager.

“It’s always something I’ve been passionate about,” Ives said. “I think that a well-rounded election is something that can be fair and equitable, something where the lines of communication are open and the elections code makes sense to people.”

The elections manger is tasked with administering the ASCSU elections process, and acts as the point person for candidates and the outside community. While not technically a part of ASCSU, the elections manager still reports directly to the president, and is paid a $1,000 stipend from the administrative budget.

In prior years, the elections manager hasn’t been appointed until the spring semester, however, in what Ives called “a test run” last year’s ASCSU President Cooper Anderson appointed Ives in November.

This, Berlinberg said, serves to get the ball rolling on the elections process earlier in the year.

“It’s kind of obvious in the ASCSU office that we already have tickets forming, and we as an administration need to provide the resources for those tickets who are starting to run,” Berlinberg said.

Berlinberg said Ives will start his duties as early as next week, and will be working about 10 hours per week maximum between now and winter break. However, come election season, Berlinberg added, Ives will be on call 24/7 to meet the needs of candidates.

Ives said he aims to have the elections committee formed by Thanksgiving break, and he will begin by chairing a task force that will evaluate the elections code to see if there are any points that need clarification.

In addition, he aims to increase voter turnout, partially by further publicizing ASCSU elections.
“We need to make sure people outside of ASCSU know the timeline better and how to run and what it means to run,” Ives said. “If more students run, it means that we have a more diverse community, and in turn, more students are motivated to vote.”

Last year’s voter turnout was 22.8 percent, a 1.6 percent increase over the year before.

“ASCSU elections are important because ASCSU really is the voice of the student body,” Ives said.

“Candidates are in a wonderful position to make changes happen at CSU.”

_Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com. _