Authors: Kevin Lytle

Following an arrest last Wednesday night, starting safety Ivory Herd will be suspended an “indefinite amount of time,” said CSU coach Steve Fairchild on Monday.

According to Fort Collins Police, Herd argued with his girlfriend, pushed her and broke the bedroom door in her off-campus apartment. He was arrested on domestic violence, harassment and criminal mischief.

Herd did not travel with the team for last Saturday’s game against the University of Texas-El Paso. Fairchild said Monday that Herd would not make the trip this week to take on the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

“We consider this a very serious issue,” Fairchild said in a statement Monday night. “I immediately suspended Ivory last week, and he’ll remain suspended for an indefinite amount of time. We’re going to hold him accountable.”

Freshman Drew Reilly started in place of Herd against UTEP and finished second on the team in tackles with six. Reilly is expected to stay in Herd’s position until Herd is reinstated, if he is reinstated.

Herd was nominated by CSU this summer for the American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team based on his off-the-field character and leadership.

A starter for the past two and a half seasons, Herd ranks fourth on the team in tackles and has both an interception and fumble recovery on the season.

He released the following statement Monday night.

“I fully realize the seriousness of the situation and I want to sincerely apologize to everyone involved in this, including my coaches, teammates and the university.”

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.