Community Briefs 10/24/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU swimming and diving drops first home meet

The Rams fell to in-state rival University of Denver Saturday, 190-110, at Moby Pool in the team’s first home meet of the season.

CSU did manage to improve individual event times from the team’s first meet of the year against Utah and Northern Colorado.

“I’m always disappointed when we lose,” CSU coach Woody Woodard said. “They raced with a lot of heart and intensity. We’re getting better in our races.”

Senior Shayna Soloman led the Rams in the springboard events, taking first place in the 3-meter and 1-meter springboards. Soloman scored 283.50 in the 3-meter and 285.38 in the 1-meter, both personal bests.

CSU Scientists research weather control stemming from Indian Ocean

Three scientists from the CSU atmospheric science department will take part in an international field experiment aiming to improve predictions of worldwide weather phenomena.

Varying intensity throughout the year causes a phenomenon know as the Madden-Julian oscillation, or MJO along the equator, affecting weather around the world. The phenomenon is partially named after Roland Madden, who received his doctoral degree from CSU.

Around 20 CSU graduate students and research staff are travelling to Sri Lanka to monitor and record weather with radar and weather balloons. CSU researchers feel the trip will be a good experience for students who will learn from top researchers in the field.

Study finds new species in soils across the globe

Microscopic animals living in soils in the northern most areas of the world are just as diverse as those living in the tropical forests according to a new study in the Proceedings of the Natural Academy of Sciences.

CSU professor Diana Wall was among the five scientists involved in the study, which analyzed soil animals’ molecules to discover similarities across a broad range of ecosystems. Soil was taken from 11 places around the globe from different climates.

Each ecosystem had a diverse soil animal population, but each one offered uniquely different types.