Authors: Lianna Salva

Director and senior theater major Alex Romberg brings the witty style of “Arrested Development” to the CSU stage in her adaptation of Shakespeare’s “All’s Well That Ends Well,” put on by the Young Producers Organization.

“I was struck by the similarities of the decisions the characters make in ‘Arrested Development’ and Shakespeare’s comedies,” Romberg said.

“All’s Well That Ends Well” will be shown at the University Center for the Arts tonight and Saturday at 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are free at the door.

Romberg explained that both the show and the play are examples of how crazy people can act when they are in love. This chaos brings a familiar humor to the stage.

“It’s fun, and that’s what Shakespeare was trying to do when he first started writing, but now we don’t enjoy it as much because of the language. When you mix it with a modern genre, it makes it fun again,” said Annie Marshall, who plays the spunky and lovestruck Helena.

Narration from junior theater major Aron Villanyi adds clarification and humor to the actions of the characters on stage. According to Romberg, this addition was key to bringing the style of “Arrested Development” –– whose producer, Ron Howard, is also the narrator for the show –– to a classic Shakespearean script.

“Ron Howard really likes the idea of someone pointing out the hypocrisies in the moment,” Romberg said. “It’s adding some spice to what’s going on.”

In the play, Helena is in the pursuit of a husband. Her choice is Bertram, played by Dana Peterson, who refuses the marriage and instead flees to fight in the army of the Duke of Florence.

What follows is a plan to deceive Bertram into marriage, turning cheerful Helena into a desperate woman who takes extreme measures to get her way.

The play also enlisted the help of sophomore theater major John Erickson to add video projection during breaks in the play that shows scenes that were cut to fit the 60-minute adaptation. Erickson also created the opening to the play, which matches the opening to “Arrested Development” and uses the theme song.

“One thing I really like about this adaptation, it’s really easy to understand,” said Peterson. “The narration brakes and the projection scenes that lend themselves to the style of Arrested Development helps the audience understand what’s going on a lot better. “

Staff writer Lianna Salva can be reached at verve@collegian.com.