Authors: Lydia Jorden

After many cold nights – mainly because I’m too cheap to buy a comforter – my roommates and I have made the executive decision to turn on the heat in our apartment.

Turning on the heat means working more hours than usual to make up for the increased bill. It means having to clean my room (and occasionally my roommates’ rooms) to make sure clothes are not covering the vent. And consequently, it means having to make sure our smoke detectors work.

Side note: We’re a pretty unlucky group of renters when it comes to the four elements.

With winter weather approaching, you can warm yourself up with a few tips and tricks that I feel are crucial for every CSU student to apply to their winter weather survival regimen, even if getting ready for winter for you does not mean fire-proofing your house.

These rules of surviving winter at CSU will sure bring you happiness and cheer.

1. Do not go to an early class if it is snowing.

Last year, I was an extremely dedicated student. I trucked myself to class, rain or shine, snow or sleet, I was there. Unfortunately, my professors always had other plans, and it didn’t help that Mother Nature likes to take charge in early November.

I would get to class, drenched from a rainstorm (even though I had an umbrella), only to find that the professor decides to let class out 40 minutes early.

But it didn’t just stop at rain.

My chosen winter story involves walking from Westfall to Eddy during last year’s blizzard. After a few slips and one major fall that left a few bruises, I walked into Eddy and was relieved when I felt my nose icicles melt.

Unfortunately, none of my battle wounds were worth it. Normally the “Due to the weather, class is canceled” sign is appreciated, but you would be surprised just how upset you can get when you haul yourself to class only to see that sign.

I will never again let my internal motivation push me to go to class at 8 a.m. during a blizzard.

2. Park Facing the Sun

Parking facing the sunrise will warm up your car and make the drive to school less miserable. This tip is especially helpful when you don’t adhere to Tip 1 and drive to school during a blizzard. The sun will help to melt the ice and reduce the time you need to scrape the ice off your car.

3. Wear Warm Clothes

We all know what I’m talking about – women who wear skimpy tops and liquid leggings in the dead of winter, acting like it is 90 degrees. Or maybe you’re more used to seeing the men who try to longboard in the snow while wearing shorts and t-shirt.

These clothing choices should not be acceptable.

I’m a strong believer in doing what makes me happy, and I apply the same idea to others. However, I cannot imagine how succumbing oneself to freezing cold conditions solicits happiness.

We all know that winter weather attire is not always fashionable, but we live in Colorado, so just accept your fate of not being on Joan River’s best dressed list.

Keeping warm clothes near leads me to tip 4.

4. Keep supplies in your car

Extra clothes, ice scrapers, blankets, water and shovels are a must during the cold weather. You never know if you will get stranded at night on I-25.

Believe me, it happens. Don’t ask.

Whether your car breaks down or a white-out blinds your vision, it is a good idea to keep extra supplies to keep you warm if needed. I also suggest keeping extra gloves, hats, jackets and hand-warmers in your car.

You may want to throw a shovel in the trunk in case you need to dig your car out of a blizzard.
Better safe than sorry.

Now, I, unfortunately, am going to be in Colorado for at least a few more years until I graduate.

Until I retire in California, I’m not sure I’m close to escaping the cold anytime soon, but I am definitely prepared for whatever cold-front comes my way.

Because unless you’re an avid winter sports enthusiast, winter sucks.

I encourage you all to get out there and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts, while preparing yourself using the tips above.

Being stranded on I-25 is not the time to wish you had prepared yourself in advance.

Lydia Jorden is a junior business major. Her column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. She can be reached at letters@collegian.com.