Authors: Erin Nalli

“In girl world, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” A quote by Cady in the movie “Mean Girls” describes the typical dress we see every Halloween weekend.

I am all for putting creativity into Halloween costumes over simply taking one out of a package and wearing it all weekend. I love spending time and really thinking about different ideas for costumes and trying out innovative ways to create them.

I also suggest keeping at least a little bit of taste when putting on your costume and going in public. I do think Halloween is a great time to be different, and obviously wear things you normally wouldn’t. Let’s be honest though, we all have the friend (or maybe we are the friend) who takes it a little too far.

Rather than just taking a seemingly normal costume and making it as scantily clad as legally possible, take that idea and just infuse it with some creativity.

The Top 10 Reviews came out with a list of the 10 most popular ideas for 2011 Halloween costumes. The list can be seen in video form below.

There are some typical and expected costume ideas on the list such as zombies, vampires and superheroes, which are timeless and can be worn year after year. Zombies and vampires especially are the essence of the Halloween season.

Some other ideas on the list have stemmed out of the Internet and social media obsession, such as apps or games like the infamous Angry Birds. The other web idea is creatively using Twitter or Facebook as the theme of your costume to get friends, wall posts, comments and tweets in a physical and literal sense as people you meet can write on your clothes or body like they would online. This is a very simple idea that has the potential to capture many memories of the 2011 Halloween weekend.

The full list of the top 10 ideas for costumes can be viewed on the video or the Top 10 Review website.

This review is just the start of putting expression into costuming this year. After looking over this list you may think of a new ideas on your own.

Try to think about outfits you can put together in pairs or in groups of friends. The more creativity that is put into your costume, the more memorable you will be.

Years ago I saw a Mr.Clean on Halloween, and even though it was a simple idea it was creative and incredibly memorable.

This year, take a walk though a fabric store. Look at all of the different materials they have available, as well as through the special edition pattern books.

Be imaginative with your costume this year rather than just trying to get away with as little clothing holding your costume together as possible.

Fashion columnist Erin Nalli can be reached at verve@collegian.com.