Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

As college students, we’re used to, and expect, certain things in our life to be stolen: the good bike rack spot, the six-pack we just put in the fridge and very often, our dignity.

But with the recent and alarming resurgence of credit card theft cases in Northern Colorado, we need to start taking precautions to assure our hard-earned money isn’t stolen, too.

According to a report from the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office, 15 cases of credit card theft have been reported in the past two days –– significantly more than the average of two-per-week.

While none of us think we’ll be the victims of theft, the truth is, there are some seriously immoral people out there –– people who wouldn’t think twice about draining your account of the $100 grandma gave you for Christmas.

Sure, there’s no need to be paranoid, but we do need to be intelligently conscious: Check your account daily, report any discrepancies to your bank immediately and most importantly, don’t give the guy next to you at the bar your credit card number and social security number. He may be cute, but he probably doesn’t really want them just to feel “closer to you.”

We often take our financial safety for granted, but the truth is, there are immoral crooks out there who would be more than happy to take advantage of our ignorance.