Authors: Allison Sylte

RamRide Director Keegan Schulz announced during Wednesday night’s student government senate meeting that RamRide Return, RamRide’s long gestating morning iteration, will officially launch on Saturday, Oct. 29.

“RamRide Return is the first of its kind in the nation that we know of,” said Associated Students of CSU President Eric Berlinberg.

The program was one of Berlinberg’s campaign promises, and will give RamRide users a ride back to their cars the morning after using the service.

This aims to address the fear many students have about not having a ride to their car in the morning, which student surveys say is the second reason why many students don’t use RamRide.

“It’s going to try and boost our night operations,” Schulz said. “It’s a win-win situation for everyone.”

RamRide Return will operate from 8 a.m. to noon, and Schulz’s current goal is to operate five cars, though the number may change depending on how many volunteers the program has.

As it stands, there are no volunteers signed up for the first two weekends of morning operations, though Berlinberg said many volunteers have told him they’d prefer to volunteer in the morning versus the late-night hours required by the night operation.

Berlinberg added that volunteer slots for night operations are almost filled for the rest of the semester.

Deputy Director of RamRide Return Victoria Sandora has been tasked with launching the program, and said she has been working since this summer to get it off the ground.

“It kept being postponed and postponed,” Sandora said. “It’s kind of like my baby right now.”

Berlinberg said the RamRide Return program will not add any new costs to the ASCSU budget, and that as a whole, RamRide is turning out to be cheaper than he had anticipated.

He chalks this up to lower than average mileage costs and fewer student organization volunteers, who are the only volunteers that receive compensation for working for RamRide.

“We usually project things to cost more than they turn out to,” Berlinberg said.

Earlier this year, RamRide had a few unexpected personnel changes after the abrupt resignation of Director Allison McVey, who has since taken a seat in senate for the College of Natural Sciences.
Schulz, formerly the deputy director of nightly operations, was promoted to the director position earlier this month.

RamRide will celebrate its eighth birthday on Monday, and as of this weekend, has given 146,359 rides home.

In addition to RamRide Return, Schulz plans to implement rides to and from the library during the week before finals.

“We’re going to focus a lot of time and energy into RamRide this year,” Berlinberg said.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.