Authors: Kaite Leigh Hutt

To anyone who has ever been condemned to hell, called a “slut” or “whore” by a Christian speaker on the Plaza, or to anyone who has felt judged by Christians as a whole, I am sorry. Christianity is meant to be a synonym for love, but this has surely not been the case lately. And I apologize for that.

The Jesus I know loves everyone, no matter what your sexual orientation, race, sex, weight or even your stance on abortion. My Jesus loves you unconditionally for exactly the person who you are. I know that whenever you didn’t feel like He loved you, He was broken hearted because He does –– oh how He loves you!

I know that I, too, have judged you. Whether it was your lifestyle, your attitude or anything else I could find, I judged you, and I personally want to tell you that I’m sorry. I should have been focusing on all the amazing things about you, because I know there are too many to count.

I should have focused on your abundant worth, but instead I chose only to see flaws.

I know I’ve missed out on meeting the wonderful person that you are. I don’t expect to be perfect or to always do or say the right thing. As a Christian, I’m willing to say that I’m “f@#$ed up” and flawed, and that’s why I chose to be a Christian, so I don’t have to do it on my own. I think a lot of us forget this.

I wish that Christians (including myself) would stop just believing in God and start following Him.

Even the “demons” believe in God, but it takes real dedication and love to actually follow Him, and we need more people like that in our world. To follow Christ, we would have to go and do the things that He did. Jesus was closest to the outcasts, the troublemakers, the lawbreakers, the “villains” and the poor.

He was never one to hang out with the religious folk or have dinner at the White House (or with the king in his day). He gave to those who needed it and bestowed love unto everyone he encountered. If only we could be a little more like Him.

I apologize for the angry picket signs and for hating you when I should have loved you.

I’m sorry that we as Christians are not more like Jesus and give him a bad name, making you want as little to do with Him as possible. This was not our intention. I ask that you try to do what we have not been able to do –– which is to try to love us.

When you’re seeing love right in front of you, it’s hard not to mimic it. And maybe you are the key for Christians to actually follow Christ and not just believe in Him. You might be the Jesus that we’ve been needing to see, even if you don’t realize it.

So to everyone who hasn’t been loved by Christians, I sincerely apologize.

Katie Leigh Hutt is a junior art major.