Authors: Erin Udell

Boulder County Public Health officials are investigating a case of meningococcal meningitis diagnosed in a CU-Boulder student late Friday night, according to an official university news release.

The student, a 21-year-old female living off campus, has the first case of meningitis seen at the university since March 2006.

In the 2006 case, the student fully recovered.

The current risk to others is minimal and only confined to those who were in close contact to the patient, who is in stable condition at Boulder Community Hospital.

Meningococcal meningitis is a bacterial infection caused by the inflammation of tissue surrounding the brain and spinal cord, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Meningitis symptoms include a sudden onset of fever, headache and a stiff neck.

Community members and CU students who may have had contact with the patient have already been contacted and offered treatment, said Dr. Don Misch, CU-Boulder assistant vice chancellor for health and wellness, in the release.

“Others, particularly undergraduate students who have never been vaccinated for meningococcal meningitis or have not been vaccinated in the past five years, should consider getting the vaccination,” Misch said.

“On a university campus, those at greatest risk in general for meningococcal meningitis are students living in residence halls.”
The last case of meningitis at CSU was in December 2010, when a 20-year-old sophomore male contracted the infection and later recovered.

_News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com. _