Authors: Drew Thiele

With the surprisingly warm weather, it may be hard for some to believe ski season is upon us.

But with Arapahoe Basin, Wolf Creek and Loveland ski areas already open, skiers and snowboarders have started hitting the slopes.

“Even though they hardly have any snow, just the fact that the mountains are open again is awesome,” said junior finance major Joey Linck.

Linck recently bought a Rocky Mountain Super Pass, which gives unlimited ski and snowboard access to Winter Park/Mary Jane and Copper, with an option to pay $70 more for six unrestricted days at Steamboat Ski Resort.

Ski and snowboard passes range in price from the adult Epic Pass — which costs $649 and provides unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, and several other mountains — to less expensive, singleday lift tickets.

The CSU ski team is currently selling passes, including the Epic Local Pass and the Summit Pass, as part of a fundraiser.

The Epic Local Pass includes unlimited skiing or riding at Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin with limited restrictions at Heavenly and Northstar. It also includes 10 restricted days at Vail or Beaver Creek, both ranked in the top 10 for ski resorts nationwide by Skimag.com with Vail at two and Beaver Creek at seven.

The Summit Pass has unlimited skiing or riding at Keystone and Arapahoe Basin with limited restrictions at Breckenridge.

Hoping to have a successful season, A.J. Grise, a team member and junior computer science major, said he thinks the team has a solid future.

“This year is all about helping the freshman class,” Grise said. “They are a good group; they just need some racing experience.”

“By my senior year, we should be great,” Grise added. “Not only will we have the talent of all the upperclassman, but we’ll have the underclassman performing at their best.”

The CSU ski team is currently dry training on campus but will start training at Steamboat as soon as it opens. Even though this is kind of a “tune-up” year, Grise said their expectations couldn’t be higher.

“Regionals are in Steamboat this year for the first time in three years,” he said. “All these great skiers will go to Colorado to compete, and it’s our goal is to qualify so we can represent CSU.”

_Collegian writer Drew Thiele can be reached at news@collegian.com. _