Authors: Kevin Lytle

Kellen Moore and his Heisman-worthy stats take all the headlines for Boise State.

And that allows running back Doug Martin to fly under the radar.

But after only five carries Saturday, he was more than just a blip on the screen; he was a heat-seeking missile cruising straight through the CSU defense.

A 65-yard touchdown run down the left side of the field gave Martin 116 yards and two touchdowns on five carries halfway through the first quarter.

And he never slowed down, finishing the game with 200 yards on 10 carries and three touchdowns.
Martin’s fast start set the tone for an offensive explosion.

“You know they’re a passing team,” linebacker Shaquil Barrett said. “But if they start running, doing a good job running, then we aren’t going to know what’s coming at us.”

After getting CSU off-balance with the run, BSU started to strike with the pass.

In fact, the only thing that kept Martin from having an even bigger game was that Moore had another one of his spectacular performances.

The senior moved his career record to 44-2 and had one of his most efficient games ever.
He completed 26 of 30 passes for 338 yards and four touchdowns. And his numbers would have been even more staggering if he hadn’t been removed from the game with seven minutes remaining in the third quarter with BSU up 56-13.

“I knew the whole week going in, the quarterback’s a good player,” coach Steve Fairchild said. “He started out, what did he hit, 18 in a row? When I played, I couldn’t have done that on air.”

Moore spread the ball to nine different receivers, but his favorite target on the day was senior receiver Tyler Shoemaker.

Shoemaker had 180 yards and touchdowns of 52 and 62 yards. Add in the fact that he had a 36-yard run on a fake punt, and it was a career day for him.

The combination of Moore, Martin and Shoemaker helped BSU to set a school record for offensive yards in a single game with 742.

Not only did they move the ball all game long, they did it with unbelievable quick-strike ability.
BSU had seven touchdown drives of less than two minutes, and their longest scoring drive was just 3:34.

Coach Chris Petersen was understated in praise of the rampant offense saying “sometimes it just happens.”

Moore was a little bit more exuberant.

“We got explosive plays. Big explosive run plays. In the passing game we were able to get some explosive plays. We got some quick drives. One, two-play drives were huge and that changes games.”

With Martin’s quick strikes followed by the Kellen Moore show, CSU was down 35-0 five minutes into the second quarter and the game was all but over.

“We got our butts kicked pretty damn good,” Fairchild said. “I don’t really find a whole lot good with what went on out there. We have to state that this is unacceptable and we’re not going to play like this.”

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

• Total yards: 742 (393 rush, 349 pass)
  • Kellen Moore: 26-30, 338 yards, 4 TD
  • Doug Martin: 20 rush, 200 yards, 3 TD
  • Tyler Shoemaker: 9 receptions, 180 yards, 2 TD