Authors: Andrew Schaller

Following a sweep of New Mexico on Thursday, the CSU volleyball team dropped TCU in convincing fashion on Saturday, defeating them in three sets (25-14, 25-17, 25-15).

The Rams were able to notch a .340 hitting percentage on the day, thanks to outstanding performances from their hitters, with five of them recording at least five kills.

“Our outside hitters continue to have really good performances,” coach Tom Hilbert said. “And today, we had Brieon (Paige) and Meg (Plourde) playing really well, and Kelsey (Snider) comes in on the right side and hits .455.”

TCU had no answer for CSU’s hitters, as Katelyn Steffan, Snider, and Paige all hit over .420 in the match.

“We kind of took advantage of their defense,” opposite hitter Steffan said. “There were a lot of holes in their defense and the coaches kind of pointed those out in film and we kind of destroyed them in that area.”

As Hilbert rotated in bench players in the second and third sets, the Rams were able to stay in control throughout, and only ceded the lead to TCU once in the third set before going on a 13-2 run, propelling them to victory.

“I want to get people in games against good teams,” Hilbert said of the substitutions. “It’s a problem to have so many good, talented kids, but it’s a good problem.”

As a flurry of double substitutions were made for CSU in the second set, TCU coach Prentice Lewis became irate at an official because of a perceived delay when the substitutions occurred.
“It was basically kind of a timeout,” Lewis said after the match. “Because we waited for ‘x’ amount of minutes and there was no reason for that.”

Lewis also expressed frustration over the lack of focus by her team, as TCU lost two in a row at home before squeaking a match out over Wyoming just before this match.
“If your team doesn’t execute,you’re not going to have a chance against Colorado State,” Lewis said. “You’ve got to put yourself in a position to challenge them, and we didn’t do that this afternoon.”

The Rams will now go on the road to face Boise State on Thursday and Air Force on Saturday.
“Now we’re starting over again,” Hilbert said. “(Boise State’s) Shawn Garus is a good coach. He’s going to look at the things that worked for him and do them more often.”

The Rams now enter into the second half of conference play, where they will face multiple road tests, as they go to face Boise State before traveling to New Mexico and TCU to close out the regular season.

“I think it’s really important we beat (TCU) the way we did here,” junior opposite hitter Dana Cranston. “Because going there, we know it’s going to be tough.”

Volleyball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

• Result: CSU wins in three sets (25-14, 25-17, 25-15)
  • Up Next: CSU vs. Boise State
  • When: Thursday, Oct. 20 at 7 p.m.
  • Where: Boise, Idaho