Community Briefs 10/17/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Last day to withdraw from classes

Today is the last day to withdraw from classes.

To withdraw from classes, go to www.ramweb.colostate.edu and click on the registration link.

Students who withdraw from a course will have a “W” on their academic record.

Men’s golf begins tournament in California

The CSU men’s golf team will compete in the 54-hole Alister MacKenzie Invitational beginning Monday.

The first two rounds of play will take place on Monday beginning at 9 a.m.
The final round will be played at 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday.

The 16-team field will be playing on the Meadow Club golf course in Fairfax, Calif. Meadow Club is par 71 and stretches 6,717 yards.

The Rams finished the 2010 Alister MacKenzie Invite in sixth place. Senior Zahkai Brown finished just outside the top 10 with his 11th-place finish.

CSU will look to bounce back after finishing 11th out of 15 at last week at the Brickyard Collegiate Golf Championship.

Ritter to take part in environmental sustainability conference

Former Gov. Bill Ritter will help host a conference on Oct. 26 to help explain the natural gas economy and how it impacts Colorado.

The conference is free and open to the public. It will take place from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Marriott Fort Collins on Horsetooth Road.

Ritter, who now directs CSU’s Center for the New Energy Economy, will co-host the event with Bryan Willson, director of CSU’s Clean Energy Supercluster, and Diana Wall, director of the School of Global Environmental Sustainability.

Ritter will speak in the afternoon panel on “The role of regulations in the natural gas industry.”
Due to limited space, registration is required at www.naturalgas.colostate.edu.

CSU professor to speak on how landscapes are shaped

CSU professor SueEllen Campbell will speak Monday on how natural landscapes are shaped by natural and human forces.

Campbell, author of “The Face of the Earth: Natural Landscapes, Science, and Culture,” works in the English Department.

Her latest book combines information from geology, biology and climate science to consider how natural landscapes are shaped by plate tectonics and climate and how the landscapes shape human culture. It also looks at how humans shape landscapes.

Campbell will be speaking at College America on South Mason Street. The event is scheduled from 3 to 4:30 p.m.