Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

While the recent late-night temperature drops here in Fort Collins haven’t affected us too much, a hundred miles away on mountains across Colorado, those cold gusts of air mean one thing: As the Starks would say, winter is coming.

And with winter comes winter sports, something many members of the Collegian Ed Board are very excited about.

Ski areas across the state have opened their slopes, allowing ski and snowboard enthusiasts to enjoy the best Colorado has to offer. And while most leaves haven’t even fallen yet, this new winter development leads us to marvel at how awesome our great state is and how lucky we are to live in it.

Not only do we have the opportunity to climb up beautiful mountains, we can also slide down them on wooden boards at increasingly terrifying speeds.

As students, we should take advantage of both our location and our youth. After all, not many people can say they’re only one and a half hours away from some of the best skiing in the country.

For all of those out-of-staters who are too nervous, the beauty of skiing and snowboarding is that you can learn whenever you gather up the gusto. Most resorts offer lessons to people of all ages.

So save up your money and your courage, Rams. Learn to ski or snowboard. Rent a pair of snowshoes for a last-minute winter adventure. It really doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you get out there and do it.