Authors: Travis Todd

On Saturday, CSU wound up in a place they did not want to be in. Five minutes into the second quarter the Rams were down 35.

CSU conceded touchdowns on each of Boise State’s first five drives, four of those touchdowns came on plays of 26 yards or longer.

“Part of our biggest keys were to come out fast on them, make some big plays early, and just keep the tempo up,” wide receiver Thomas Coffman said. “But they got out on us, made some plays, got up big in the first quarter and that definitely hurt us.”

The Rams were able to gain a little momentum by scoring touchdowns on each of their next two drives, while BSU missed a chip-shot field goal right before half.

“I think we had the momentum going into half, we put two good drives together,” quarterback Pete Thomas said.

CSU then came out of halftime on defense and held BSU, forcing them to punt. Instead they ran a fake punt on fourth and six that went for 36 yards and effectively ended all momentum that the Rams had gained.

“That was a big play. We thought the defense did a great job stopping them,” Thomas said. “I thought we were going to get the ball back. I felt like we had some momentum going into half, but that was a great call.”

BSU’s Doug Martin scored his third touchdown of the game three plays later and all but ended any hopes of a CSU comeback. BSU would score three more touchdowns in the third quarter, finalizing the scoring at 63-13

The CSU offense still needs to figure out a way in which it can move the ball effectively for an entire game. The Rams ended the game with just 231 yards of total offense.

On top of the loss on the field, the Rams also suffered a couple more injuries. Notably, starting right tackle and senior leader Paul Madsen left the game in the second quarter with a knee injury and did not return.“Paul Madsen going out obviously did hurt us,” Fairchild said. “It took us out of some of the heavy run packages that we have.”

Linebacker Mike Orakpo also left the game when he made a tackle on a BSU running back after losing his helmet. He did not return, and the team called it a head injury.

The Rams now find themselves at 3-3, 1-1 in the Mountain West, and need to bounce back quickly as they don’t want to end another season with a 3-9 record.

“We’ve got to get in, get this behind us and we’ll know our approach (for UTEP) on Sunday,” Fairchild said.

Football Beat Reporter Travis Todd can be reached at sports@collegian.com he can also be followed on twitter at travis_treats.

• Final: Boise State: 63 CSU: 13
  • Up next: at University of Texas-El Paso
  • When: Saturday, 6 p.m.