I am admittedly conflicted regarding the unfortunately lavatory-sounding “Occupy Everywhere” movement. Certainly no fan of banks or their influence, I still see a very large discrepancy with the fact the banks did not legislate these massive frauds and bubbles in any nation.

They bought the politicians who passed the legislation that created the moral hazard that then allowed the bubbles to inflate and gave us fraud’s newly decriminalized recognition; but that only qualifies as half of an immoral act, and Congress is much more prone to popular pressure than private banks.

“If I’m wrong, nothing happens! We go to jail — peacefully, quietly. We’ll enjoy it! But if I’m right, and we can stop this thing; Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.”
Think about how much truth is in that quote from “Ghostbusters.”

Ask Hilary Clinton how important fundraising is — she ran out of money just as the primaries drew to a close in 2008 while leading the race, and she’s now Secretary of State.

You want the banks out of writing their own rule books? Break the model. Look for candidates who either do not receive funding from banks or who have a track record of going against banks.

Insert weekly Ron Paul reference: he raised $8 million last quarter, entirely from personal donations.

At the end of the day, the American voter is the biggest enemy of the American voter. You simply cannot honestly look at the American political two-party system and conclude anything other than the voter is to blame.

“Every nation gets the government it deserves,” Joseph de Maistre said this, and I don’t know if a truer sentence has been uttered. The OWS movement seems, above all, unwilling to take responsibility in the role voters have played in empowering the banks by consistently voting for their puppets.

Campaign finance disclosure tells us which politicians are on the bank and corporate payrolls. This is despite being a government willing to lie about virtually everything, and they still tell us outright when a bank has purchased their services.

Despite my misgivings with the pseudo-Marxist undertones of the protests, I have to ask — what is your goal? If you attain your goal, what will the effect be on the average person?

As I pondered these questions, I was reminded of the importance now, more than ever, to recognize our history as a nation.

Not the history taught to us by school books written by those in power, but the factual history with the less-than-palatable details our public school teachers failed to pass on between their union meetings and bemoaning how they don’t make enough.

What with the nine months of steady paycheck with no discernible penalty for failure measured against ambiguous standards, I totally sympathize with the teachers. It cannot be easy to educate students when your major in higher education was … education.

“Someone with your qualifications would have no trouble finding a top-flight job in either the food service or housekeeping industries.” Again, “Ghostbusters” shines the light of wisdom on American entitlement mentality.

The majority of Americans want jobs that simply don’t exist. We lost our way. One of the contributing factors to the U.S. escaping the Great Depression in somewhat decent shape was the 18 percent of the population working in agriculture and food production.

That portion of the population is nearly zero today – 2 percent at best, and not many of them are American.

You want to talk about missing out on a sure thing? There is no surer way to remain needed in the economy than to work in agriculture, and Americans don’t want to do it.

So I ask again, what is the end goal? How will things change if OWS attains their end goal? “Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together. Mass hysteria!”

Unless they have a plan to rekindle the protestant work ethic advocated by Benjamin Franklin, not much is going to change in America. I wonder how many protesters, even how many of us (“us” being the former Aggies), are willing to take a labor job on a farm rather than unemployment. To grow our own food?

Everything presently failing the population in America, the economy, education, diet, media, fuel efficiency and the designated hitter can be blamed directly on federal politicians accepting bribes from corporations and banks in exchange for legislation favorable to the donor.

I make no secret of my perception of the American political class as rubbish. We somehow were duped into believing the Ivy League education so many of our politicians received somehow makes them more qualified to determine economic policy than a demonstrated knowledge of economics.
Occupy Everywhere? Human need over corporate greed?

Start with the American voters who continue putting puppets in office over candidates who are better qualified, educated and principled but who aren’t as popular with the corporate media.

Seth J. Stern lives in a heightened state of annoyance. What he doesn’t understand appears Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.