Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

In yet another installment of the saga that is Fort Collins’ quest to become “The Stepford City,” anti-marijuana activists are proposing to shut down Fort Collins’ 20 medical marijuana dispensaries.

The MMJ opponent’s main argument is that dispensaries lead to more crime and higher marijuana use among youth, an argument that is entirely ludicrous.

Any marijuana-related crime probably involves distribution, since it’s hard to picture a bunch of stoners doing anything more criminal than shoplifting some Cheetos. And if you eliminate the need for illegal distribution, there will probably be less marijuana-related crime.

As for the argument about higher marijuana usage among youth, we hate to break it to you, but kids are going to smoke weed no matter what, and if you disagree, you obviously haven’t been to a high school.

The question is: Should that marijuana come from regulated dispensaries, or should it come from shady Mexican drug cartels?

It’s not rocket science, but proponents of Question 300 seem to think banning dispensaries is the right way to go about continuing Fort Collins’ legacy as “the safest driving city,” “Money magazine’s Best Place to Live” and whatever other random awards the city decides to say that it’s won.

Because at the end of the day, banning medicinal marijuana isn’t necessarily going to help anyone, and it definitely isn’t going to solve the problems that anti-marijuana activists have come out to solve.

Instead, it will probably lead to an increase in illegal, unregulated marijuana distribution, and leave a lot of patients, who genuinely need marijuana as a form of medicine, having a harder time getting the care they need.

So, Concerned Fort Collins Citizens, stick that in your pipe and smoke it!