Authors: Jordan Kurtz

The CSU community is looking to match last year’s record-breaking 66,800 pounds of food and $39,600 in donations Wednesday on the 25th Cans Around the Oval collection day, said SLiCE Program Coordinator Brett Rundle.

Cans Around the Oval is a food drive that fights the hunger issues in the Fort Collins and Loveland communities by collecting monetary and food donations and circling those donations around the CSU Oval.

According to SLiCE, some of the items that are needed the most are peanut butter, canned tomato goods and canned meals.

Food and monetary donations may be taken to the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE) office located in room 113 of the Lory Student Center, or to the Oval at any time Wednesday.

“Cans Around the Oval gives people a chance to give back to the community through a traditional event,” Rundle said.

The SLiCE office has asked that participants register their donations in order to receive proper credit, although registration is not required.

The event will commence at 10 a.m. with an opening ceremony on the administrative lawn that will include words from Food Bank for Larimer County Executive Director Amy Pezzani and CSU President Tony Frank.

The collections contest will gather donations from groups and organizations at designated times.

The contest uses a points system that tracks the pounds of food and total dollars. One pound of food is equal to one point, and $1 is equal to one point in this friendly winner-takes-all competition of bragging rights.

Student organizations will drop off donations between 10 a.m. and noon; Greek Life and Residence Life will drop off from noon to 2 p.m.; CSU colleges, departments and offices along with community participants will drop off donations between 2 and 4 p.m.

The Food Bank for Larimer County is the recipient of the donations collected during the campaign. Although there have been a significant amount of donations prior to the Cans Around the Oval event, the majority of the donations will be received Wednesday.

“We receive about 90 percent of the donations on the day of the drive,” said Chuck Gill, assistant director of the Food Bank of Larimer County.

Cans Around the Oval is a great display of the philanthropic and community service efforts from the CSU community, as well as the local community, Gill said.

Multicultural Greek Council President Natalie Smith said her sorority teamed up with the fraternity Nu Alpha Kappa and the sorority Alpha Phi Gamma for this year’s food drive.

“We have done better this year,” Smith said. “I am not sure of the exact amount, but we have two garages full of donations.”

Certain groups, such as the Interfraternity Council, have held fundraisers to raise money for the campaign. Travis Wendel, Vice President of Community Service and Philanthropy, said, “We have a $700 check from our Homecoming fundraiser that we will be donating.”

Collegian writer Jordan Kurtz can be reached at news@collegian.com.