Authors: Bailey Constas

If you find yourself pondering pink this week, it might be a result of Think Pink Week, an annual event put on by Zeta Tau Alpha in honor of October — breast cancer awareness month — and their philanthropy, breast cancer awareness and education.

Event activities started Monday with a yogurt eating contest that challenged students to eat six Yoplait yogurts, or however many they could stomach, in a minute.

Yoplait, a supporter of the fight against breast cancer, donates 10 cents to Susan G. Komen for the Cure for every seasonal pink lid customers send in or submit online.

“I feel it’s going to be harder than it looks,” said freshman civil engineering major and member of Alpha Sigma Phi, Nick Alfino, while he prepared for the contest on the Plaza early Monday afternoon.

On Tuesday, the women of ZTA plan on “painting the campus pink” by chalking the plaza and hanging pink ribbons around campus. Members are also asking students to wear pink in honor of breast cancer awareness.

The Think Pink Dessert Party, a 50-year tradition, will be held on Wednesday.

“It’s definitely our biggest event” said Angelica Lombardia, ZTA’s chapter president. “Last year we raised $3,000.”

On average 500 to 600 people attend the philanthropic event.

Held from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the ZTA house near campus, the dessert party will consist of unlimited desserts and DJ sets by DJ Dane Quay and DJ Spencer Flower.

The cost of tickets are $5before the event and $7 at the door. All proceeds will be given to Breast Cancer Education and Awareness.

“It’s something we’re really excited about,” Lombardia said. “DJs come out, and we have lines out the door.”

“This year it’s definitely the biggest it’s ever been, and it’s something our chapter is extremely passionate about,” Lombardia added. “I think it really hits home for a lot of people.”

To end the week’s events, members will host a “ribbon remembrance” day on Thursday by displaying remembrance and celebration ribbons they sell throughout the week. These ribbons, which can be purchased by students, faculty and community members, will be posted on the Plaza to honor a specific person who has battled breast cancer.

“No matter who you are, it helps out a great cause,” said Dylan Bretz an undeclared sophomore and member of Beta Gamma Nu.

According to Clark Erwin-Billones, manager of the Greek Life, each sorority and fraternity has around four to five main philanthropy projects they raise money and awareness for.

“Philanthropy projects really help our community as a whole whether they promote societal rights, access for people with disadvantages or promoting literacy for people and families,” Erwin-Billones said.

So whether you’re donning a pink t-shirt, buying a ribbon or eating some yogurt, the women of ZTA ask for community support and involvement for breast cancer awareness this week.

“Whether they know someone or not or just come out for the cause,” Lombardia said. “We will see a huge turnout in support of it.”

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.

To buy tickets to the ZTA Think Pink Dessert Party or purchase remembrance ribbons, go to the LSC Flea Market this week from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets will be sold until Wednesday, the day of the dessert party.