Authors: Andrew Carrera

The CSU system inched one step closer to hiring a new chancellor yesterday as the Board of Governors met for the first time to discuss the process of finding one.

The two-and-a-half hour meeting in Denver set up the structure for how a committee within the governing board will go about hiring an executive search firm, which will be trusted with picking out chancellor candidates, said Kyle Henley, the CSU Denver director of public relations.

Committee members will look through eight firms and determine which they will hire by early November.

The process of finding a new chancellor was sparked when Joe Blake, the CSU System’s first chancellor, announced in early July his plans to resign from the post.

“Being chancellor of the CSU System has been the highlight of my career,” Blake said in a news release. “The time is right for me both personally and professionally to serve the CSU System in a new capacity.”

Blake will continue to be associated with the CSU System by working on donor development and alumni relations and teaching and providing policy advice.

He said he would step down when the CSU–Pueblo presidential slot –– a position vacated by Joe Garcia when he was elected as Colorado’s Lt. Gov. in 2010 –– was filled. The Board of Governors completed the presidential search last Wednesday morning by unanimously voting to appoint Nevada State College Interim President Lesley DiMare.

Committee members have not established when specifically they will select a new chancellor.

“The committee is committed to a thoughtful and deliberate process that comes up with the best results for the CSU System,” Henley said. “We’re obviously looking into the next year. This was the first meeting, so it would be too early to say here’s when we’re going to have a chancellor in place.”

The new CSU System Chancellor will oversee a three-campus system comprised of two traditional campuses and an online campus.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.