Oct 102011
 
Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It’s been about a month since a small group of activists gathered in Manhattan’s financial district to protest for social change and “occupy” Wall Street. Unfortunately, this movement has managed to gain steam and spread its abstract demands all the way to our little corner of the world — the corner of College Avenue and Maple Street, to be exact.

About 70 people gathered Monday, as reported in today’s Collegian, to protest greed, corporate influence and social inequality. They held up signs protesting the wealthiest 1 percent of the country, while advocating for the other 99 percent living paycheck to paycheck.

Well, while standing up for a cause may give some a feeling of purpose, this movement is lacking just that — purpose. By standing outside making non specific demands against corporate America, Occupy Wall Street supporters are wasting their own time.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been increasingly critical of the protests, saying that demonstrators are “trying to destroy the jobs of working people in the city” while protesters from public-sector unions get their salaries from taxes paid “by the people they’re trying to vilify.”

If these Occupy Wall Street supporters are indeed living paycheck to paycheck, we suggest they go back to work and wait for a cause that can really change something.

After all, simply standing on a street corner yelling at oncoming traffic won’t change a passerby’s opinion of you, unless you want that opinion to go from “those people are normal,” to “those people are crazy.”

 Posted by at 4:32 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.