Authors: Hannah Tran

A young group of advocates called “Invisible Children” stopped by the Senate Chambers in Lory Student Center to spread awareness about Uganda’s prolonged 23-year war.

The advocates shared a video recalling the struggles, grief, and joy experienced during their initial exposure to the atrocities from the war.

The war involves a rebel group, called the Lord’s Resistance Army. The LRA is abducting millions of children to carry out their violent deeds, revolting against the present government.

David Okech, who experienced the horror of the war first hand, spoke to CSU students about his life story, reliving his worst memories. One of which involved his father, who was killed in front of his eyes.

“It was one of the hardest moments in my life,” he said.

Dan Kroszner, who is a member of Invisible Children, is among many who believe that the war is one of the most neglected humanitarian crises in recent history.

“I didn’t even know about it until two years ago,” he said. “You can’t help but not know these things.”

During President Obama’s term, a bill was passed that further progressed the actions against the war in central Africa. However, Invisible Children feels that they are far from their goal. Violence continues in the area outside of the borders of Uganda.

Hopes remain high for the advocates. Their visions continue to fuel their long journey across the states to expose their personal stories, putting a face to a tale that is seemingly so distant.

“We try to bring this story to you,” said Okech.