Authors: Andrew Schaller

It took only a little over an hour for the Rams to dispose of Seattle University (25-18, 25-16, 25-14) for their fifth straight victory.

“That was one of the fastest matches we’ve ever played,” said coach Tom Hilbert after the one-hour-and 17-minute contest.

The Rams were able to make quick work of Seattle by hitting at .507 and committing only six errors the whole match, compared with .088 hitting, and 23 errors, by Seattle.

“You’re going to beat anybody with only getting six errors in three sets,” Hilbert said.

The Rams were able to attack Seattle by distributing the ball to five different players who notched at least five kills each in the match.

“I could distribute it wherever I wanted most of the time,” redshirt freshman setter Deedra Foss said. “That’s what we wanted, and that’s what we’ve been working on lately, too.”

CSU took advantage of the height disparity between the two teams by getting up to the net and forcing Seattle into committing errors.

“We just did a lot of things well today, and we blocked well,” Hilbert said. “It didn’t show up (in the stats) as blocks because they were covering them, but we were able to slow them and frustrate them, and as a result they hit balls out of bounds, and that’s the result of that.”

After the match, Seattle coach Shannon Ellis noted the importance of a smaller team serving well against a taller one.

“Serving is the great equalizer in volleyball, and normally we’re a very good serving team,” Ellis said. “If you can serve tough, you can push people back a little bit because we weren’t able to do that. Their offense just rolled.”

Next, the Rams will look to continue their five-game winning streak on Saturday, when they face off against the University of Wyoming (11-7, 2-2 MW) in Laramie, Wyo.

The Rams will be looking to maintain their focus this weekend to continue their winning ways.

“Wyoming is a very good team,” middle blocker Brieon Paige said. “You have to go into it the same way we came into Seattle: thinking they’re a really good team. I think we need to have that mindset.”

Volleyball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Game Results

• Result: CSU wins match (25-18, 25-16, 25-14)
  • Next: CSU vs. Wyoming
  • When: Saturday at 7p.m.
  • Where: Laramie, Wyo.