Communit Briefs 10/07/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Concert for a cause

Sophie Wysocki, a sophomore at the University of Northern Colorado, is putting on a concert at the Union Colony Civic Center in Greeley tonight to raise money for Love 146, an organization that raises awareness for the issue of sex trafficking.

The concert will feature The Fray, Holly Lovell, Churchill and Ashida. Tickets cost $15 and can be purchased at ucstars.com or at the Union Colony Civic Center box office.

The lobby doors open at 7 p.m., the inner doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m.
Wysocki said the idea for the concert came from a class on writing for social change, in which she researched and learned about the sex trafficking industry.

“It really inspired me, and I wanted to do something more,” she said.

Fairchild to give lowdown on Ram touchdowns

CSU football coach Steve Fairchild will discuss the 2011 Ram football team today at 11 a.m. at the Lakewood Country Club.

The Rams’ football team’s current record is 3 – 2 ­.

The event is a Department of Athletics sponsored luncheon open to the public.

Jog with dogs for obesity awareness

This Saturday at 9 a.m., CSU’s One Health Club will present its third annual “Paws on the Pavement” 5K run/walk around the Oval.

The event is in honor of the club’s “challenge of obesity awareness” and includes a health fair for both people and their canine companions.

Proceeds from the event will support the club’s goal to increase collaboration between public, animal and environmental health communities.

Those interested can register at http://csuonehealthclub.org.

Sounds of Africa to illuminate the UCA

A concert featuring the CSU West African Drum and Dance Ensemble and CSU Freshman Percussion Ensemble will be showcased in the University Center for the Arts Sunday at 2 p.m.

During the concert, the African Ensemble will perform authentic dances and drumming from Ghana.

Tickets can be purchased at csutix.universitytickets.com.

— Collegian Staff Report