Authors: Drew Thiele

On Thursday, CSU students used canned food items to create works of art on the LSC Plaza.

This event, known as Canstruction, is part of the Cans Around the Oval tradition, which gives student organizations an opportunity to have fun while helping reduce the hunger crisis.

Participants were given three hours to create structures out of donated canned foods and were then judged based on creativity.

“It’s a great way to raise awareness for hunger nationwide,” said event coordinator Brett Rundle.

The event, which drew six teams this year, was put on by the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE) office and has taken place for more than five years. Kayla Jensen, a student volunteer coordinator and nutrition major, helped set up the event.

The winners of Canstruction will receive t-shirts and points to put toward the overall Cans competition. All of the cans received during Cans Around the Oval will be donated to the Larimer County Food Bank.

“Anyone who registered can participate. We have participants from the College of Business, ROTC, a few sororities and more,” Jensen said.

Among the participants was the pre-veterinary club, which created two dogs and a picture of the world with their cans.

“This year we were a little ambitious. We covered five territories, the smallest containing 100 houses and the largest containing 200,” said Paige Skipper, the community outreach coordinator for the pre-veterinary club.

Cans Around the Oval is celebrating its 25th anniversary and shows no signs of slowing down.
Since its origins, where just one student went to the local food bank and saw that the need was not being met, Cans Around the Oval has increased in participants and donations every year since. They are hoping to top their previous achievement of 66,000 pounds of food and over $39,000 that was collected last year.

The winner of Canstruction will be announced Friday by the SLiCE office.

Collegian Writer Drew Thiele can be reached at news@collegian.com.