Authors: McClatchy-Tribune and Matt Miller

Sophomore business major Ally Kiefer was in her accounting class Wednesday evening when she heard about the death of technology visionary and Apple Inc. co-founder, Steve Jobs. He was 56.

“My teacher started to use him as an example and a girl raised her hand and said he had died,” Kiefer said. “(My professor) always used him as an example, he is obsessed with Steve Jobs.”

What followed, Kiefer said, was a 15-minute discussion on the future of Apple.

“He made the company what it is today,” Kiefer said. “He seemed to be driving Apple forward.”
She said Apple would be a different company without its co-founder.

“I think stocks are going to go down temporarily,” Kiefer said. “But I think Apple will be fine in the long run because of all the research and development they have going on now.”

Apple announced the death of Jobs — whose legacy included the Apple II, Macintosh, iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad — on Wednesday.

“We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today,” Apple said. “Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.”

He had resigned as chief executive of Apple in August, after struggling with illness for nearly a decade, including a bout with pancreatic cancer in 2003 and a liver transplant six years later.

Few public companies were as entwined with their leaders as Apple was with Jobs, who co-founded the computer maker in his parents’ Silicon Valley garage in 1976, and decades later — in a comeback as stunning as it seemed improbable — plucked it from near-bankruptcy and turned it into the world’s most valuable technology company.

Jobs spoke of his desire to make “a dent in the universe,” bringing a messianic intensity to his message that technology was a tool to improve human life and unleash creativity.

“His ability to always come around and figure out where that next bet should be has been phenomenal,” Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates, the high-tech mogul with whom Jobs was most closely compared, said in 2007.

News Editor Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com. McClatchy-Tribune contributed to this report.