Authors: Allison Sylte

The CSU System Board of Governors completed a nine-month search for a CSU-Pueblo president Wednesday morning, unanimously voting to appoint Nevada State College interim president Lesley DiMare.

But the end of this search marks the beginning of another, since System Chancellor Joe Blake has said he will resign from his post once the CSU-Pueblo presidential slot has been filled.

“The single most important thing the Board of Governors does is appoint leadership at CSU’s three institutions,” Zimlich said. “… We can’t put a timeline on the chancellor search yet.”

Zimlich said the board will meet next week to finalize how they will go about finding Blake’s replacement.

“This won’t be a fast, two week long search, but we also will not move slowly,” Zimlich said.

The CSU-Pueblo presidential post has been vacant since January, after then-president Joe Garcia began his duties as lieutenant governor.

Julio Leon has served as Pueblo’s interim president.

The presidential search committee, chaired by Dorothy Horrell, narrowed the field down to two candidates in April, but these candidates withdrew from consideration.

A second search began in June, ultimately leading to the nomination of DiMare and the other two others: Michael Driscoll, the provost and executive vice chancellor of the University of Alaska-Anchorage, and Karla Hughes, the provost and vice president for academic affairs at Morehead College.

“Dr. DiMare was a great candidate,” Zimlich said. “..I think everybody is thrilled.”

Leon will continue to fill the presidential role until DiMare officially begins her duties.

“Dorothy [Horrell] was almost tearing up when the board announced it had made a decision about the CSU-Pueblo president,” said Associated Students of CSU President and non-voting BOG member Eric Berlinberg. “She was so relieved that it was finally happening. It has been a long search, but they found a great candidate.”

While Zimlich said the CSU-Pueblo presidential appointment doesn’t have that much of an impact in Fort Collins, Berlinberg said her appointment will offer a wealth of new resources to the university.

“It’s a topic that we’ve discussed at all of the board meetings so far, how to leverage the strengths of one institution to better all of the others,” Berlinberg said. “…Dr. DiMare has an almost Tony Frank-like charisma to her, and I look forward to working with her in the future.”

_Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com. _