Authors: Kyle Grabowski

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and to help support the cause the CSU volleyball team will wear pink uniforms during tonight’s Dig Pink game against Seattle University.

“It gives you something else to play for,” senior opposite hitter Katelyn Steffan said. “Something that you normally don’t keep in the back of your mind when you’re preparing for a game, and it’s something that all of us have to be aware of as females too.”

Seattle enters the game 4-12 following its win Tuesday at Boise State, and the Redhawks are looking forward to the opportunity to play at CSU.

“I’m excited to bring my team to Moby Arena,” Seattle head coach Shannon Ellis said. “It’s one of the best places in the country to play volleyball.”

Senior outside hitter Cristin Richards leads Seattle with 4.81 kills per set and a .354 hitting percentage this season. The Rams’ best players in those categories, Steffan and junior middle blocker Breion Paige, average 4.05 kills per set and a .308 hitting percentage, respectively.

“We’re a good blocking team, so we’re not going to do anything different except that if she’s getting kills per game she’s getting a lot of sets. So we’re going to prioritize her and hopefully the matchup is in our favor,” CSU coach Tom Hilbert said. “I feel like we can block most teams, and hopefully we’ll be able to at least contain this kid.”

CSU is by far the highest ranked and best blocking team Seattle has played this season, but that doesn’t concern coach Ellis.
“We’re telling our hitters to hit high, and if they get blocked then we’ll tell them to hit higher,” she said. “We’re not going to back down. Good teams do what they do, and we’re trying to be a good team.”
Seattle only has four wins this season. They have defeated Eastern Washington, Gonzaga, and Mountain West Conference participants Air Force and Boise State.
“I think Seattle is better than people think. They’ve had a couple of interesting wins this year,” Hilbert said.
The Rams are not concerned about a letdown in tonight’s game despite Seattle’s poor record and their match against Wyoming looming Saturday.

“We already learned that you can’t over look teams,” junior middle blocker Megan Plourde said, “so I think we just want to take this game and help improve the areas we need to.”

Volleyball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The Game

• Who: Seattle University vs. CSU
  • When: Tonight, 7 p.m. Moby Arena
  • Tickets: Free with a student-ID
  • Live chat: collegian.com
  • Listen: 90.5-FM KCSU