Community Briefs 10/05/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

McDonald’s contributes $100,000 to new Grandin scholarship at CSU

CSU announced yesterday during a celebration honoring Temple Grandin the endowment of a scholarship fund to support the professor’s graduate students.

“This fund will allow Dr. Grandin to continue her remarkable work teaching our students about and researching livestock behavior and humane handling practices for farm animals,” said Craig Beyrouty, dean of CSU’s College of Agricultural Sciences in a news release.

McDonald’s Corp. gave $100,000 to the Dr. Temple Grandin Scholarship in Animal Behavior and Welfare.

Other contributors included Colorado Beef Council, Colorado Cattlemen’s Association, Colorado Dairy Farmers, Colorado Livestock Association, JBS, Leprino Foods and the National Western Stock Show.

Fort Collins man arrested after hitting deputies with his car

A Fort Collins man was arrested Monday on felony charges after allegedly striking deputies multiple times with his vehicle in his front yard, the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

Deputies arrived at the residence of Frank Ray Runyan on the report of a domestic disturbance.

When deputies attempted to speak with Runyan, he fled to his car and allegedly struck the deputies multiple times and hit a tree in his front yard.

Runyan then fled on foot with the deputies in pursuit, the news release said. He then circled back to the car and allegedly, once again hit the deputies with the vehicle.

Runyan was arrested at gunpoint from his vehicle, where police found a significant amount of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia nearby. He faces felony counts including assault in the first degree against a police officer, possession of a controlled substance, vehicular eluding and sale of a controlled substance.

The deputies did not suffer signifcant injuries.

Siemens awards CSU record-breaking $44.5 million in in-kind software

CSU has received 40 Siemens PLM Software licenses for its participation in an exclusive national hybrid/electric vehicle design competition called EcoCAR2.

The software has a commercial value of $44.5 million –– the largest in-kind software grant in university history, which is designed to teach students to manage large, complex projects.

Thomas Bradley, assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, is leading one of the 16 university teams around the nation working to build a hybrid electric Chevrolet Malibu made by General Motors.