Authors: Moonier Said

Building from the ground up takes time, effort and a willingness that the men of Pi Kappa Alpha (PIKE) have become very familiar with during the planning of their new fraternity house.

“We want to look better on campus and have a good presence,” said PIKE’s Vice President Andrew Scheaffer.

The fraternity’s new house is gaining momentum and set to replace two small homes at the corner of Laurel and Meldrum Streets, where members used to reside before they were boarded up early last fall. These houses were boarded up because they were too old, and the fraternity wanted something new.

“We wanted to accomplish the goals that we’ve been aspiring for many years,” said PIKE President Corbin Gray.

The fraternity currently does not have a house in which all of the members reside.

Demolition of the former homes is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 10, with hopes to have new construction completed by August 2012.

The demolition was originally scheduled to take place last year, but the economy has held plans back, Gray said.

“With the economy it has been difficult to get the loan and money from the banks,” Gray said.
But even without a current residence, PIKE has still been active.

“Having old, boarded up houses didn’t hold us back, and we still get new recruits,” Gray said, adding that the fraternity currently has 45 active members.

Gray said he and the chapter’s executive board met with Vaught Frye Larson Architects (VFLA) throughout the summer to plan the building time frame and general look of the house, which will contain elements of Greek architecture, like white pillars.

The house, which will have an apartment-style structure, will contain 15 units, with each unit holding two bedrooms.

Scheaffer said some goals, like land clearance and asbestos inspections, have been on time while other events such as fire training have not been on schedule.

Rush Chairman Scott Yarberry described how the new house has been a dream in the making for 30 years and how excited all the members are to live under one roof.

“They (the old houses) just portray a poor image, and an upgrade is needed to truly represent how great the national fraternity really is,” Yarberry said. “Pi Kappa Alpha boasts the largest average chapter size of any other fraternity in North America.”

“This is the first time we’ve come this far,” Yarberry added about the construction.

Despite not being acknowledged by CSU as a student organization, PIKE still remains active in events around campus and in the community.

According to Gray, the resolve to have a new house has gotten PIKE members to be more motivated in community work.

Steps in the planning process, like fundraising, have gone well with PIKE alumni giving a helpful hand, as well as help from the national fraternity organization.

Schaeffer expressed his excitement about the brothers being able to bond and produce a morale boost among members.

“Every fraternity has a house, and we want to bring everyone together to hangout,” he said.

Collegian writer Moonier Said can be reached at news@collegian.com.