Community Briefs 10/03/2011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Women’s golf travels to Missouri

The CSU women’s golf team is competing in the Johnie Imes Invitational in Colombia, Mo. today and Tuesday.

The event is being hosted by the University of Missouri and includes 15 teams from around the country at The Club at Old Hawthorne golf club. Old Hawthorne is a 6,204-yard, par-72 course.

Betsy Kelly, Brianna Espinoza, Sarah Roering, Christina Spinzig, and Jessa LaBarbera will be the competitors for the Rams, playing 36 holes today and the final 18 holes on Tuesday. CSU has never competed in this event before.

CSU a leader for Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative

CSU’s School of Global Environmental Sustainability will lead the Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative in Wageningen, Netherlands, which is concerned with the future of the planet’s soil.

The initiative is open to all those concerned about sustaining Earth’s soils, formed by international scientists, policymakers and the public.

“Without soil and their biodiversity, there is no human life,” said Diana Wall, University Distinguished Professor at CSU. “Life in soil is key to sustaining food production, ecosystem maintenance, water quality and control of global atmosphere and climate change.”

The initiative is designed to improve upon the current knowledge on soil biodiversity and ecosystem services rather than coming up with new research.

Chronic wasting disease test looked at in CSU study

A CSU study in evaluating an improved test for chronic wasting disease, including the ability to test for infection in live animals. The project is funded by the Morris Animal Foundation based in Denver.

The disease affects deer, moose and elk and is similar in cattle and sheep causing concern for hunters and ranchers in 19 different states. Current tests available don’t detect every level of infectious prions that cause the disease.

New tests are being researched that work using body fluids, which give greater sensitivity, accuracy and faster output than current methods.