Authors: Kevin Lytle

San Jose State upset CSU on Homecoming when Jabari Carr caught a 38-yard touchdown pass with just under a minute remaining.

The winning drive came following a missed 48-yard field goal by CSU.

The Rams were in position to tie following a comeback after being down 31-17 in the second half.

A last-gasp drive for CSU (3-2) ended when Ronnie Yell intercepted a Pete Thomas pass at the 10-yardline with seven seconds remaining.

SJSU (2-3) jumped out early by scoring on the opening drive of the game.

SJSU drove 78 yards and got a touchdown on a 12-yard rush by Brandon Rutley. It was the first time CSU had been scored on in the first quarter all season.

After a three-and-out on CSU’s first possession SJSU had another long drive. This one ended in a 37-yard field goal by kicker Jens Alvernik to give SJSU an early 10-0 lead.

The CSU offense responded immediately with an 85-yard touchdown drive. The score came on a deep pass from Pete Thomas to receiver Lou Greenwood for 41 yards. It was the first touchdown scored by a CSU receiver all season.

SJSU added to its lead when linebacker Tiuke Tuipulotu forced CSU running back Raymond Carter to fumble. It was picked up by Duke Ihenacho and run in 20-yards for a touchdown to make it 17-7 SJSU.

Following a CSU punt on the ensuing drive, SJSU marched down the field to put CSU in a 24-7 hole.

Rutley recorded the touchdown with a 23-yard touchdown run, his second TD of the game.

CSU got a big break near the end of the half. SJSU completed a pass for a first down, but receiver Chandler Jones ran into his own player and fumbled. CSU’s Shaq Bell recovered the fumble in Spartan territory.

The Rams capitalized when Thomas hit Greenwood for his second touchdown of the game, this one for 25 yards.

The score with just over a minute remaining in the half sent the teams into halftime with SJSU leading 24-14.

CSU was able to cut the deficit on the first drive of the second half. The Rams drove deep into SJSU territory, but weren’t able to get to the end zone.

Instead, the Rams settled for a 28-yard field goal by Ben DeLine to cut the deficit to 24-17.

But SJSU immediately responded with a long drive that was capped by a 10-yard touchdown reception by tight end Ryan Otten to make the score 31-17.

After another CSU drive ended with a punt the Rams defense needed to step up and make a play.

And they got it when Momo Thomas picked off a pass from Matt Faulkner at the SJSU 47-yardline.

The Rams capitalized immediately with a touchdown pass to Thomas Coffman to make it 31-24 at the end of the third quarter.

On the next CSU drive Thomas ran in from nine yards out to tie the game at 31.

Check back to www.collegian.com for more updates.