Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

As young college students it’s easy to think we are invincible, especially when it come to downloading music. With illegal downloading, for the most part, out of the news following crackdowns in previous years, it might seem safe to go to the library or your dorm room and steal a few new albums.

But in today’s Collegian article, “Sharing is not caring,” it says CSU receives six to 12 notifications of file sharing on campus a day. While this isn’t staggering on a campus of more than 25,000 students, it would really suck to be found guilty of copyright infringement and face fines up to $30,000 on top of university repercussions.

And both the university and copyright infringement organizations like the Recording Industry Association of America have every right to hold us accountable. When you steal music you break both federal law and the CSU code of conduct.

You wouldn’t start a meth lab in your dorm or a prostitution ring; so, why steal music from it? That Black Eyed Peas album isn’t really worth it.

Now you might think you are taking money from powerful record companies, which take advantage of artists –– and this is kind of true.

But think about a young band that just got signed by a record label. If all of the band’s fans steal the album and its record sales tank, what incentive does the company have to keep a contract with the band?

Do yourself a favor, support bands (especially local ones). Support the failing music industry. Support our failing economy, and don’t steal music.

The Black Eyed Peas are never worth it.