Authors: Andrew Carrera

Anywhere from 750 to 1,500 medical records at the CSU Health Network could have incorrect immunization information, according to an email sent to students Sept. 20.

“It recently came to our attention that particular immunizations relating to pertussis (whooping cough) were inaccurately entered into the electronic medical records of some patients at the CSU Health Network,” read the message sent to over 10,000 present and past university students.

Taylor Jackson, the Associated Students of CSU controller, was one of the students who received a notice.

“I’ve talked to my doctors, and I know I’m up-to-date with immunizations,” she said. “At the same time, it’s just kind of concerning that what’s supposed to be a reputable source for medical advice on campus is confusing information like that.”

Before 2005, students had to get three separate vaccinations guarding against whooping cough, tetanus and diphtheria. After that year, an all-in-one shot was released, called “Tdap.”

While most students received the Tdap shot, some still only took the one guarding against tetanus, called “Td.”

The CSU Health Network interpreted Td shots taken after 2005 as Tdap shots, reasoning that students actually meant to write down Tdap on their immunization records, because “almost nobody was taking a Td shot after 2005,” said Lisa Duggan, immunizations coordinator at the health network.

It was discovered this semester, however, that some students had correctly filled out their forms by writing down that they only took a Td shot. Despite this, some are on record as having also been vaccinated against whooping cough, even though that’s not the case.
They estimate that fewer than 5 percent of the 15,000 records they’re reviewing have anything wrong with them.

The network has received approxior other organizations ask for their immunization records, it will reflect accurate information.

“We’ve put flags on all the students records. Anytime they’d see a provider, or ask for their records, we would take a look at (them) in real-time,” Hudgens said.

According to officials, this mistake has never happened before and no disciplinary action has been taken against those who input the information incorrectly.

“There’s a realization that a mistake was made,” Hudgens said.

Jackson is confident in the health network’s ability to recover from the error.

“I think after making their mistake once, they’re going to work really hard to not make it again,” she said.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Did you receive the notice?

Call: (970) 491-2147

Email: csuhn_immunize@colostate.edu

Learn more about whooping cough (pertussis): http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/