Community Briefs 9/27/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Decoding Tony Frank’s first budget email of the year

In what can be assumed to be the first of many budget updates of the year, CSU President Tony Frank sent CSU students and staff an update on the early stages of the FY 2012-13 budgetary process on Monday morning.

According to the email, because of forecasted large budget shortfalls on the state level, tuition is projected to increase at least 9 percent, though CSU has the flexibility to increase it by 12, something Frank has said he’s hesitant to do.

In addition, Frank said he would like to give CSU faculty a 3 percent pay raise, though if state financial projections worsen, it’s something that may not be possible.

For more information about the budget, visit president.colostate.edu, and stay tuned to the Collegian as the FY 2012/13 budget develops.

President Obama honors CSU researcher

President Obama has named Laura Bellows, a CSU researcher specializing in child obesity, as one of the top 94 early career researchers to receive the Presidential Early Awards for Scientists and Engineers.

This is the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their careers, according to a news release.

Bellows was recognized for, “outstanding work in understanding how healthy eating habits and physical activity patterns established in preschool are maintained over time to reduce childhood obesity,” according to White House officials in a news release.

Sixteen federal departments band together to nominate scientists and engineers for the honor, which was created by President Bill Clinton to honor up and coming academic leaders.

Event to ask ‘Is business ethics an oxymoron?’

As part of the annual Academic Integrity Week, Mary Beth Lewis, the director of the Daniels Fund Ethics Workshop, will be hosting a discussion regarding academic integrity’s role in business.
The workshop will start at 12:30 p.m. today in West Rockwell Hall, Room 116 (the auditorium for New Rockwell.)

This event is one of many scheduled throughout the week that aims to educate students about the meaning of academic integrity. A full schedule is available at tilt.colostate.edu.

In-Focus Sustainability Center Series presents Jorge Ramirez

To publicize the integrated water, atmosphere and ecosystems education and research programs (I-Water) at CSU, CSU civil engineering professor Jorge Ramirez will be giving a presentation at 12 p.m. today in Johnson Hall, Room 108.

The primary mission of I-WATER is to prepare Ph. D students to work in an interdisciplinary team based activity, with research themes that include interacting with hydrologists, meteorologists, ecologists and management experts.

The presentation will include a short question and answer session, and light refreshments will be provided.

— Collegian Staff Report