Community Briefs 9/26/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Cross country finishes strong at Roy Griak Invitational

The CSU men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the 26th Roy Griak Invitational Saturday, finishing 16th and 13th respectively.

Top finishers for the men included Spenser Lynass (25:02) who competed in the 8,000-kilometer finishing 47th, Christian Meyer (25:05) and Alex Muntefering (25:27).

The 6,000-kilometer women’s race saw Nicole Peters (21:08) finish 16th. Other CSU competitors were Ellie Keyser (21:29) and Hannah Pensack-Rinehart (21:54).

The Rams will compete Oct. 16 in the Pre-Nationals located in Terre Haute, Ind.

CSU Homecoming and Family Weekend brings street closures

During CSU’s Homecoming and Family Weekend Parade, several street closures will be in place around Fort Collins Friday Sept. 30.

The parade is scheduled to begin at 4:30 p.m. at the intersection of Howes and Oak Streets in downtown Fort Collins. The parade is expected to last for 90 minutes and will go south through the Oval and across university plaza, ending at Meridian and University Avenues.

Streets will be closed starting at noon and will be marked with “No Parking” signs. All streets will reopen at 6 p.m. Friday.
Visit www.homecoming.colostate .edu/paraderoute.aspx for more information on street closures.

Research conducted by CSU shows eating local potatoes provide health benefits

In a recent CSU study evaluating the effect on stored colored potatoes, antioxidants and anti-cancer properties were decreased, leading researches to suggest eating local vegetables to maintain the health benefits.

The results of the research may also apply to other produce bought in grocery stores, which sometimes store its products for up to 12 months before putting them on the shelves.

Fresh purple and red-fleshed potatoes provide antioxidants to help prevent colon cancer and deliver levels comparable to blueberries and grapes. The study was funded by a National Initiative Grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

— Collegian Staff Report