Authors: Jordan Jacoby

While officials say students are given ample information about the consequences of plagiarism, some students nevertheless tend to plagiarize. This week groups at CSU have come together so more students receive information about what really constitutes cheating.

Academic Integrity Week, which starts Monday and lasts until Friday, is hosted by the Associated Students of CSU, The Institute for Learning and Teaching and Conflict Resolution and Student Conflict Services. The week includes seminars for students to understand what plagiarism really is.

“I believe students do not really know what plagiarism is,” Elaine Green, the program director for Academic Integrity said. “Students come from different backgrounds and may or may not have learned about citing sources in high school.”

This year’s Academic Integrity Week falls earlier in the year than it did last year so that students have this information before midterms. Also, last year all of the seminars were held on one day.

The facilitators thought spreading the seminars up this year would garner a higher turnout.

“I think academic integrity is important because if you get caught once it just ruins you. Basically you become an asterisk and it follows you throughout your life,” said sophomore biology major Dee Soliman.

According to Green, students can take information learned during the seminars and apply it later in life. Academic integrity is not only important to school work but it is also important in the professional world, she said.

“This program is an opportunity to connect academic life and professional life,” Green said.

Green said the first seminar, “Are You Cheating Your Way Through College? Understanding the Gray Areas,” is very broad, and something she encourages all students to attend. It starts at 4:30 p.m. on Monday and lasts until 6 p.m.

A full schedule of the seminars is available at tilt.colostate.edu.

“I think this is a great project that ASCU, TILT and CRSCS are behind, and I see the benefit for students to prevent problems in the future,” Green said.

Collegian writer Jordan Jacoby can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Today:

• 4:30 to 6 p.m.: Are You Cheating Your Way through College? Understanding the Gray Areas

Tuesday:

• 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.: Defining and Avoiding Academic Dishonesty in Foreign Language Classes
  • 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.: Avoiding Unintentional Plagiarism: When to Cite Sources in Your Written Work
  • 12:30 to 1:45 p.m.: Academic Integrity in the College of Business

Wednesday :

• 4:30 to 6 p.m.: Tools and Tips for Formatting Citations with Ease

Thursday:

• Noon to 1 p.m: The Graduate Student’s Role in Maintaining Academic Integrity
  • 4:30 to 6 p.m.: Academic Integrity in Engineering