Authors: Andrew Schaller

CSU opened up its Mountain West schedule with a sweep against the Air Force Academy on Thursday (25-19, 25-14, 25-20) after a sloppy first set in which they committed nine attacking errors and three service errors.

The Rams were able to right the ship the next two sets behind the play of junior Megan Plourde and redshirt freshman Deedra Foss.

“We had some goals to reduce errors that didn’t occur in set one,” said coach Tom Hilbert. “It’s frustrating, but they’ve got to play through (the errors).”

After hitting .093 as a team in set one, CSU went on to attack at a staggering .424 and .414 in the second and third sets, respectively. Plourde led the attack for the Rams recording a team-high 10 kills in the match, and Foss led the way with 36 assists.

“Meg was really getting around the setter and getting in good position,” Hilbert said, “and Deedra, I think, is starting to get it at the speed that Megan can get it at. (Megan) was patient and still got kills on some of the high stuff.”

The Rams used the second two sets of the match to get more playing time for some of the younger members of the team. Freshmen Carlie Foust, Kaila Thomas and Kelsey Snider all played extensively in the second and third sets.

Snider was encouraged by her play in the match, but acknowledged a need for improvement.
“I just didn’t feel like I was hitting at my peak or my hardest,” she said. “There were some swings in there that I was, but it wasn’t on a consistent basis.”

Hilbert applauded the effort given by the freshmen and appreciated the chance to be able to work non-starters into the game.

“When we get some separation in these games I like to do that, and even if it means the team comes back a little bit,” Hilbert said.

CSU will now set its sights on Boise State on Saturday, where the two teams will meet for the first time as members of the MW.

“We’re going to have to be a lot better, a lot cleaner to win on Saturday,” Hilbert said, adding Boise State is “a lot better” than Air Force.

The Rams will have to battle Boise State without the help of Brummett and setter Katie Rutherford, who have been suspended due to what Hilbert called “undisclosed rule violations.”

_Volleyball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com. _

The Game

Result: CSU defeats Air Force Academy 3-0 (25-19, 25-14, 25-20)

*Next: *Boise State vs. CSU

When: Saturday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m.

Where: Moby Arena

Radio: 90.5FM KCSU