Authors: Bailey Constas

If you were walking through the LSC Plaza Tuesday afternoon, you may have seen him — a caped man in bright blue shorts armed with a ukulele and 140 love songs about the earth.

When asked what he’s playing on his ukulele, the songster, Boulder resident Stele Ely, also known as EarthE Man, simply replies, “a romantic little ditty, John Lennon-style.”

Today his message was to dry laundry on clotheslines instead of drying them. With an upbeat melody, he sang, “So I dry our sheets and hankies on a clothesline. Baby kisses on laundry day, mighty fine.”

While most students on their way to class can’t help but smile at the man cloaked in what he calls a “Team Earth” uniform, undeclared sophomore Tyler Johnson prefers to sing along.

“It feels like not enough communication about Earth is going on,” Johnson said as he took a pause form harmonizing. “It’s a really bad situation; we’re not really treating Earth right.”

Promoting his project to create 140 love songs about Earth, Ely is committed to saving the planet.

That’s one hit environmental song for every 1,000 endangered species to help save them from extinction, according to the website written across Ely’s shirt — voxerth.net.

All of Ely’s songs, from “Wolverine Dreams” to “Set The Water People Free” are available for download on voxerth.net for free; however, there is a link to donate to his project.

“I’ve been an environmentalist all my life,” Ely said. “I play for tips at the mall.” Ely, who offers himself to play at parties or events, co-writes songs with other musicians and performs custom songs for anyone in need of inspiration.

“I want to get people to start thanking each other for doing the right thing,” Ely said of his motivation to come to the CSU campus. “Give a hug to someone for using a water bottle or biking in the rain for a week.”

Next time you spot Ely on the plaza — during the rest of this week — stop and chat for a while. He may just give you his signature tattoo of an X and an O, symbolizing a human giving the Earth a hug –– with his non-toxic ballpoint pen.

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.