Community Briefs 9/21/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Harry Potter fans unite

Students should prepare to enter a world of witchcraft and wizardry this evening in the Lory Student Center, room 208, as part of a quidditch tournament sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of English at CSU.

After meeting in the LSC at 5 p.m., participants will then move to IM field 5, where they will compete for prizes from Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, the Alley Cat coffee shop, CSU Bookstore and Barnes and Noble.
Those interested must register by emailing nctecsu@gmail.com. Participants are also encouraged to come in costume. And, of course, the event is BYOB — bring your own broom.

Sonny Lubick to speak at CSU

Former football coach Sonny Lubick is set to speak as part of the university’s “My Favorite Lecture” series this afternoon in the Tilt Auditorium, Room 221.

Lubick, the Rams’ head coach from 1993 to 2007, will speak on challenges students often face, putting an emphasis on the resilience needed to overcome problems in the face of adversity.
“My Favorite Lectures” is aimed at bringing distinguished professors to campus to speak on topics outside of typical schoolwork and academic courses.

Doors open at 4 p.m. for Lubick’s lecture, which starts 15 minutes later.

New Belgium plays “Solitaire”

Tonight, ski film company Sweetgrass Productions will premiere its newest film, “Solitaire,” at New Belgium Brewery, located on 500 Linden St.

To film “Solitaire,” filmmakers trekked through South America, capturing athletes shredding powder on some of the Andes most treacherous slopes.

The movie starts from 6:30 p.m. and lasts until 8:30 p.m.

— Collegian Staff Report