Authors: Justin Hill

Tonight there will be a discussion of the African Metals exhibition that is on display in the University Art Museum. The discussion will take place in the museum at 4:30 p.m. and will be moved later to Café Vino for more discussion and discounted drinks.

“Pat (the leader of the discussion) will be bringing some of the students who helped organize the exhibition,” said Linda Frickman, the director of the University Art Museum. “This show was student-researched and curated, and she likes to involve them with public presentations about their art historical work.”

Some of the pieces on display were brought to the museum with help from students who are interested in museum studies. Patricia Coronel, a CSU associate professor of art history and leader of the discussions, is greatly involved in helping the students with their interests in museum work.

“I will be there with a couple of students who have worked on pieces from the university collection that are now on display,” Coronel said. “Since we are a teaching museum, we’ll answer questions about this exhibit and about the learning possibilities available for students who wish to work with museum collections.”

The event is taking place to give students and the community an opportunity to ask questions and get more information behind the history of the artwork on display.

“It gives a chance to discuss art in the museum, and it’s a great way to find out more,” said Jennifer Clary, the marketing director for the School of the Arts.

Clary also said the exhibition, which has been up since the summer, is made up of a combination of pieces that have been loaned as well as some that are part of the museum’s permanent collection.

After the museum discussions, those who are interested can follow Coronel to Café Vino for further conversations about the art, culture and works from the exhibition, as well as discounts on drinks, Clary said.

“It keeps things going for people who have interest in the arts,” Clary said.

“These events are nice, informal ways to be able to talk about the work in the museum and to ask questions,” Frickman said. “Because students were so involved, it’s a good opportunity to see how students approach areas of museum studies.”

The museum portion of the discussions is scheduled to go from 4:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. and will be held in the University Art Museum, which is across College Avenue from the main campus in the University Center for the Arts.

The free event, sponsored by the School of the Arts, is open to all students, faculty and the community.

Collegian writer Justin Hill can be contacted at verve@colostate.edu.

Art discussion

What: Tasteful Tuesdays Art Discussion

Where: University Art Museum, then Café Vino

When: Today at 4:30 p.m