Community Briefs 09/15/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Coloradoan editor resigns

After six years at the Fort Collins Coloradoan, Executive Editor Robert Moore has resigned to become editor and vice president for the El Paso Times Texas/New Mexico Newspaper Partnership.
Moore, 51, worked for the Times as an assistant city editor, metro editor, managing editor and executive editor prior to joining the Coloradoan in 2005.

“It wasn’t an easy decision to return to El Paso,” Moore said. “I love Fort Collins, and I have been amazed by the many talented people I’ve met in this community,” Moore said to the Coloradoan.

Coloradoan Publisher Judi Terzotis said she planes to “vigorously” recruit a new executive editor.

Bike and breakfast

Thursdays are getting a little bike friendlier this September as the CSU Campus Bicycle Advisory Committee plans on hosting breakfast stations once a week for the rest of the month.

Sponsors from the Fort Collins community will be at each station serving breakfast food to the first 300 students, faculty and staff members who show up between 7:30 and 10 a.m.

Bike mechanics and CBAC members will also be at the stations, giving bicycle safety tips on how to “ride respectfully on campus and throughout the city,” according to the CSU website.

This weeks breakfast will take place at Natural Resources at University Avenue.

New Belgium’s Bike-in movie

New Belgium Brewing is showing “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” tonight from 7:10 to 9:30 p.m. at 500 Linden St.

As part of the Outdoor Bike-in Cinema’s eighth season, students and community members (of legal drinking age) are encouraged to join in the fun and purchase a beer.

Proceeds will go to New Belgium’s non-profit partners at Wolverine Farm and Publishing and Bicycle Fort Collins.

National Hispanic Heritage Month

CSU will be joining in the nationwide recognition of Hispanic histories, cultures and contributions for the duration of September as part of National Hispanic Heritage Month.

Awareness events, sponsored in part by El Centro, kick off today at a picnic during Tony Frank’s fall address and go through Oct. 15.

Students, faculty and Fort Collins community members are encouraged to attend the address, occurring at 11:30 a.m. on the Oval.

— Collegian Staff Report